8 Ways to Visualize Culture

I’m starting a unit on intercultural communication and competence in the class I teach at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (a service-learning class called Intercultural Education in K-12 Classrooms) and one of the things we’re talking about today is the various ways to visualize culture. I thought I’d share the images (and video!) we’ll be working with today.

1. Can’t name this one because it will spoil the video!

2. Iceberg

3. Tree

4. Onion

5. Glasses

6. Fish in water

7. Software of the mind

8. House

Can you think of other ways to visualize culture? Share in the comments!

Images:
What’s Up With Culture?
(iceberg)
ercan_baysal (tree)
whole onion
(onion)
Bear & Avery (dogs)
untitled (fish)
Dancing Around In the Geekiest of Ways (software)
Cate Brubaker (house)

About the Author: Cate Brubaker

Cate helps travelers, expats, teachers, and students relaunch themselves into their ideal global lives after being abroad at SmallPlanetStudio.com.

8 thoughts on “8 Ways to Visualize Culture

1. sherifa fayez says:

appreciating simple tools like these. Intercultural communications needs to be in every part of the world. Especially in mine – the Middle East. The whole world can change.

• Cate Brubaker says:

Thanks, Sherifa. Simple tools are often the best tools! Do you do intercultural work in the Middle East? I’d love to hear about it.

2. Ashley Houston says:

I’m in an Intercultural Communication class at Lesley University right now and all your images are great correlations to what we are working on! Thanks for sharing:)

• Cate Brubaker says:

Thanks for stopping by Ashley! If you all have thought of other images for culture, let me know so I can add them to the list!

3. Seth Fisher says:

What do the glasses represent?

• Cate Brubaker says:

Hey Seth, the glasses represent the cultural lenses we look through, and the ability to try on other cultural lenses.

4. Maria Snyder says:

The other day I learned a continuation of the iceberg in which culture shock was like two icebergs crashing. Or it could be lke trying on someone else’s glasses.
    Maria Snyder recently posted…Teen Vogue and study abroad?My Profile